Sunday, November 30, 2008

12. Comentario

(Commentary)

Having read over my opus of Method & Theory blog entries in an attempt formulate a response to this week’s entry, I can safely say that I am more educated in the varied theoretical approaches to the study of Religion.  Interestingly, I view this course now as more of an “Introduction to Religion” course than I ever thought I would!

Instead of approaching religion topically – that is, broken down by ‘religion’ itself, this course forced us to view religion from a position outside of religion proper.  By using lenses such as ‘gender’, ‘myth’, ‘performance’ and ‘ritual’, I’ve been forced to answer what importance these aspects of religion bear on the actual existence of religion itself.  Does (or can) religion exist outside of these?  Or is it the coming together of these semantics that makes religion what it is essentially?  I think this course helped me determine that while these features can be independently dissected, they are intrinsically tied to the nature of religion as we know it. 

In the class where we discussed ‘The Invention of World Religions’ by Tomoko Wasuzawa, we were asked to consider how an Introduction to World Religions course might be alternatively taught.  In retrospect of this course, I feel that the way in which this course has been taught, would be an ideal alternate to the religion-by-religion approach that has traditionally been adopted for introductory courses.

I enjoyed especially that we didn’t look at texts, but rather gained the tools on how to read texts for ourselves, regardless of our avenue of scholarship.

This course was especially helpful in allowing me to gain a fuller lexicon for my chosen realm of study.  Reading scholars in areas such as ‘ritual’ and ‘myth’ have allowed me to develop a vocabulary specific to my academic and also, to explore the field from different methodological angles.  For instance, I was forced to question what was the difference between studying religion from a feminist perspective versus studying religion from a historical perspective.  Furthermore, the question of ‘proper’ methodology has also arisen – for instance, is there such a thing as a feminist methodology? 

Having said this, I would have written my initial SSHRC proposal very differently today than I did in week three of the course!

In terms of the course’s structure, I found the blogging ritual quite fulfilling – it allowed me to flesh out my own thoughts prior to coming to the class.  This preparedness allowed for a richer in-class discussion.  The in-class discussions were often engaging and always entertaining – I was able to grapple with concepts from the perspective of my colleagues that I hadn’t even thought about previously.  As well, having the focus put on our thoughts as opposed to the thoughts of the scholars before us, helped me understand that I am now planted firmly in academia, proper – no longer an undergraduate with no opinion, but rather someone who can contribute ideas to existing conversations in scholarship.  This sense of autonomy over my academic endeavors was reinforced repeatedly throughout this course.

Much of what was discussed in the classroom has found its way sneaking its way into my out-of-classroom experience.  This course has made me critical of loaded terms like ‘tradition’ – I find myself questioning texts and dissecting meaning, where once I took it for granted.  The authority of the author is no longer something I take as a given – this course engaged us in active questioning of the layers of bias that one brings to a written work.

I think the best part of this class was that it was a surprise at the end of the semester to realize of the value of the previously seemingly directionless discussions.  At the onset of this course, I could never have predicted how studying religion through these lenses would contribute to my knowledge base and to the conversations I would engage in with my peers.

That was also one of the great benefits of this course – the engagement with my peers that allowed me form strong bonds based on similar and differing opinions, varying areas of study, and sharing my research with others while learning about theirs in return.  I’m excited to see, in the coming year, what type of research my peers and I will produce.  The direction we take with our individual research and the voices we adopt to conduct that work, will no doubt have been influenced by the conversations that we’ve begun in this course.

4 comments:

Ada Chidichimo Jeffrey said...

Hey Roselle,
You made a good point, about viewing religion from a position outside religion using various lenses. Those different vantage points really change the waya phenomenon appears. I also think that the development of a vocabularly is especially important for us. Even understanding just how important methodology is, and how important it is to expain one's own methodolgy (in say, a SSHRC proposal).
I was happy to have some literary theory in the course, it's one of those areas that when I was taught it, I thought that it would be totally inapplicable to my area of study. Then lo and behold, like many other aspects of this course, they keep coming up again and again in different courses. I think this course was but the beginning of a constant concern for theory and methodology!

Nathalie LaCoste said...

Hey Roselle!

I liked your phrase about moving from being an undergraduate with no opinion to a graduate student who can participate with scholarship. I really never thought about that. There is something very different about reading in graduate school, I feel as though I am becoming much more critical towards scholarship which helps to formulate my own opinions and ideas.

Great work!

Mike Jones said...

Hey Roselle,
I see your Christmas season filled with tradition and vitriolic rants about Hobsbawm.

In the course of the course, it never occurred to me how detached all the terms were from religion. Occasionally, even the readings were on different subject matter completely (like that Marxist mentioned above.) Its an interesting way to frame what we are studying.

I can't agree more that it is our peers that brought the most to this class. I learned quite a bit from the discussions

Anonymous said...

Hey Roselle,

I agree with you about the value of our weekly blogs. I find they really pushed us to think through the problems within the study of religion, particularly the ambiguity of the terms we looked at over the semester as well as the issues that problematize the various methodological approaches we studied.

I find that this class really helped me to attain the language and tools necessary to articulate positions and opinions on some of these issues- issues which up to now seemed peripheral to my research area. In dealing with the questions associated with my actual research, these questions would float around in the back of my mind but I usually turned down their volume to focus on what I thought were the “real” issues… In that sense this class has been very valuable to me.